You can cut your wooden marionette parts by hand if necessary but if you can use a machine it will save you a lot of time and arm ache.
Of course you will be governed by what you have available to you but what are the pro's and cons of a scrollsaw vs a bandsaw
Pros - Scroll Saws
- You can cut tighter curves and more detail.
- You can even cut inside a part.
- It is a safer tool to use.
- Blades are cheap
Cons - Scroll Saws
- Most saws will struggle to cut more than a 50mm (2 inch) thickness.
- Cutting takes longer.
Pros - Bandsaws
- You can cut thicker timbers - up to 150mm (6 inches)
- Cutting is faster
- Blades last longer
Cons - Bandsaws
- Difficult to get fine detail
- Blades are more expensive